Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schoupal - Prié, 2005, BDG Challenge Match (Read 35960 times)
Sevenviolets

Re: Schoupal - Prié, 2005, BDG Challenge Match
Reply #9 - 06/07/05 at 14:20:22
Post Tools
Quote:
I admire you not only for taking on the GM, but for upholding your views about this gambit so publicly; views that I believe to be mistaken, of course.

Do you have the time and energy also to fight against 5...Bf5  6. Ne5 e6 right now?  I would give you a game in that line if you would like.  I'm 2240 (USCF) OTB; my USCF CC-rating is 2450; my ICCF CC-rating has been that high, but it is down around 2270 right now.

Or perhaps we could play some other time if your load here is already enough.

Yes, it would be honour to play with you, but some time later. Now I´m overloaded. And I also hope that I will defend my cause in the games I´m playing just now and then we can play Bf5 variation.

To my game with Eric. I need to check my analysis and to decide what is the best move here. I think Eric has prepared some novelty in the line which is published on the ED web starting with 8.f3. The most probably I will go right this way but I need to check 8.Qd2 move once more (Markovich´s analytical coverage of this line is o.k. but white has some other possibilities as well, he doesn´t mention) to do not miss any interesting possibility. Soon I will post my first move. And then the fight may begin.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #8 - 06/07/05 at 08:36:13
Post Tools
Quote:
  I want to prove my claim that white is +/- in the Lemberger and in the 5..c6 Ziegler Variation. It doesn´t matter who the opponent is, as for me, the most important is what the position is like and what it offers... and in our game with Eric, for the time being, I´m very satisfied:)

I think it is going to be one of the shortest game in Eric´s chess career:) I suppose the game will be finished before move 30.

I admire you not only for taking on the GM, but for upholding your views about this gambit so publicly; views that I believe to be mistaken, of course.

Do you have the time and energy also to fight against 5...Bf5  6. Ne5 e6 right now?  I would give you a game in that line if you would like.  I'm 2240 (USCF) OTB; my USCF CC-rating is 2450; my ICCF CC-rating has been that high, but it is down around 2270 right now.

Or perhaps we could play some other time if your load here is already enough.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Sevenviolets

Reply #7 - 06/07/05 at 07:40:43
Post Tools
Quote:
Patrik, I respect your courage. Playing against a GM is really different from playing a patzer like me.

I want to prove my claim that white is +/- in the Lemberger and in the 5..c6 Ziegler Variation. It doesn´t matter who the opponent is, as for me, the most important is what the position is like and what it offers... and in our game with Eric, for the time being, I´m very satisfied:)

I think it is going to be one of the shortest game in Eric´s chess career:) I suppose the game will be finished before move 30.

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves
are the less complicated"

Reply #6 - 06/07/05 at 05:55:35
Post Tools
This is not the point MNB. I know some 2100 OTB players who are 2600 GM by correspondance...

With the Lemberger, Black only wants to demonstrate comfortable equality, eg with prospects of outplaying the opponent and eventually win.
Of course, White argues he can prove the opposite !

This is a practical approach when accepting the pawn, I agree, could be better -By the way, this is what you and Bonsai are trying to demonstrate- but that means giving the BDG player what he seeks and believes in.

I found no game in my 4M° base, including the Chessbase correspondance games, with Patrik's 7.Bc4.
So I want clear things out with this 4.Nge2 line. (since it is very difficult to take 4.Nxe4 exd4 or 4...Qxd4 5.Bd3 Nc6 seriously) and publish the game in the section.

May the BDG fan not despair, I am also ready to do the same with the accepted version provided that it matches the sequence 1.d4 d5 2.Bg5 f6 3.Bf4 only move 3...e5!? 4.dxe5 Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 06/06/05 at 22:37:05
Post Tools
Patrik, I respect your courage. Playing against a GM is really different from playing a patzer like me.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #4 - 06/06/05 at 22:05:25
Post Tools
I say that to say that I think white is fine in this variation, after Qd2, it is whites only move, I looked into f3 but was not happy with the results.

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #3 - 06/06/05 at 22:00:37
Post Tools
I remember analyzing this variation after I looked at Patrik's analysis of the Lemberger Countergambit, and thought about picking it up myself when I was trying to work out some of the difficulties Eric Prie presented in the Qh5 variation.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/06/05 at 20:56:04
Post Tools
Hmm.   I wasn't sure what Black was up to in this line, which has a sort of Staunton-Gambitish feel to it, but now I think I see it. 

8. Qd2 c6!  9. dxc6 Nxc6  10. h3 (10. Qxd8 Rxd8 and Black has great activity, e.g. 11. O-O Nd4; similarly 10. O-O Nd4)  and now:

(I) 10...Qd4!?

(I-a) 11. Nb5 Qxc4  12. hxg4 Nd4! (12...Rd8??  13. Nf5++) and Black is much better.

(I-b)  11. Bxf7+ Kxf7  12. hxg4 e3!  13. Qxe3 Nb4 also favors Black.

(I-c)  11. Bb3! and White has good hope of the half point, it seems to me (though Black can try 11...Be6!?).

(II)  10...Bd7! (sez I)  11. Ngxe4 Nxe4  12. Nxe4 Bf5 and Black is slightly better with his more active pieces.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Sevenviolets

Reply #1 - 06/06/05 at 14:14:02
Post Tools
Hello Eric,
  I accept your challenge. It is honour for me to play against you. Our game will start after:

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 e5 4.Nge2 Nc6 5.d5 Nce7 6.Ng3 Nf6 7.Bc4 Bg4

It is a well-known Lemberger Counter-Gambit variation. 4..Nc6!? is a very interesting try, comparing to "normal" 4..exd4 I think the move is even better. Therefore our game might be very interesting from theoretical point of view.

Now, white is on move. Let me take couple of days to gain insight into the position and finally to come out with an answer.

Rules are same as in my other two games. All comments, advising etc. are possible (even welcomed) during the game. Even a move recommendation in beforehand.

Good luck.

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves
are the less complicated"

Schoupal - Prié, 2005, BDG Challenge Match
06/06/05 at 11:14:45
Post Tools
Hello Patrik, I am ready to take up the gauntlet on the Lemberger 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 e5.

Strangely enough, I see no simple ways of giving back the pawn in return for comfortable equalization after   4.Ne2 and a closer look.

So I have to enter some complications 4...Nc6 5.d5 Nge7 6.Ng3 Nf6 7.Bc4 definitely better than 7.Bg5 as analysed previously in my update.

7...c6 'stinks' and I trust your analysis.
Therefore I want to try 7...Bg4.
It is your move.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo